Cal Performances Announces 2012/2013 Season
On Tuesday, April 24, Cal Performances held a press conference in Zellerbach Hall to announce the upcoming 2012/2013 season. The event featured a performance by members of the San Francisco Opera, video presentations on Laurie Anderson’s Dirtday! and Robert Wilson’s and Philip Glass’ Einstein on the Beach, and a video conference call with conductor/composer Esa-Pekka Salonen.
Everyone is sure to find something they like in the varied programming from Cal Performances. Highlights from upcoming season include:
- Yo-Yo Ma and Kathryn Stott
- Robert Wilson’s and Philip Glass’ groundbreaking opera Einstein on the Beach
- The Secret Garden, a newly commissioned work from the San Francisco Opera
- Esa-Pekka Salonen conducting the Philharmonia Orchestra
- Gustavo Dudamel conducting the Simón Bolívar Symphony Orchestra of Venezuela
- Swan Lake, performed by the Mariinsky Ballet & Orchestra
- Wynton Marsalis & the Jazz at Lincoln Center Orchestra
The event was presented by the director of Cal Performances, Matías Tarnopolsky. Regarding their diverse offerings, Tarnopolsky commented, “We lead the audience in new directions as well as follow them.” There is always a balance of the traditional and the avant-garde, without the latter being too inaccessible. We at Connect the Dots look forward to covering Cal Performances events next year.